Federal Student Aid | Williston State College

to the top of the page
Home Page
Federal Student Aid -

Federal Student Aid

  Home  »  Admissions »  Student Financial Aid »  

Federal Student Aid

Types of Aid

Financial aid grant is money to help a student pay for college or career school. A grant is a form of financial aid that doesn’t have to be repaid, except under certain circumstances.
Education loans are a form of financial aid that must be repaid with interest. Eligibility may be based on tuition costs and financial need for the loan. Students loans can come from the federal government, referred to as federal student loan, and is determined by completing a FAFSA

Federal Work Study provides funds for jobs for eligible students to help them pay for their education.

Scholarships are a grant or payment made to support a student's education, awarded on the basis of academic or other achievement. 

Applying for Aid

Once you have applied to WSC you are able to begin filling out your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Use our FAFSA Guide to help submit your FAFSA successfully. 

After your FAFSA has been processed, the Financial Aid Office will notify about your eligibility for financial aid. The financial aid award letter includes information about how to accept aid.

Receiving Aid

Your initial award is based on full-time enrollment. Important - you must be enrolled in at least six credits to be eligible for a Federal Direct Loan.

How to Accept/Decline Your Financial Aid

  1. Log into your Campus Connection
  2. Select the Financial Aid Tile
  3. Change to correct aid year
  4. Select Accept/Decline
  5. Edit (pencil tool)

Grants and scholarship are automatically accepted on your behalf.
Be sure to decline any award you do not want – this will help to prevent you from receiving unwanted emails from the Financial Aid Office instructing you to accept/decline your offered awards.

Federal Direct Loans
If you are accepting a Federal Direct Loan for the first time (and you will be enrolled in at least six credits), complete these steps in order for us to process your federal loans:

  1. Go to https://studentaid.gov
  2. Sign in using your FSA ID and complete:
    • Under 'Loans and Grant' click on the following:
      1. Sign Master Promissory Note (MPN).
      2. Complete Entrance Loan Counseling for first loan.


Student Financial Aid

Stevens Hall, Student Services
p. 701.774.4248
f. 701.774.4211

Williston State College Teton Mascot where the people make the difference